Saturday, June 17, 2017

ETHICS vs MORALITY

Ethics and Integrity are so important in public service that UPSC conducts a separate examination to test that in the candidates. When I first encountered with these terms, I looked them up in many dictionaries for the precise meaning and bizarrely, I didn't find a clear distinction between the two terms - ethics and morality. Invariably, they referred to each other circularly in most of the dictionaries. Digging a little deeper with the help of Google dev, I got some clarity which I am expressing here with the help of this cartoon. Ethics is generally a broader term and it is a set of principles which are more or less universally accepted. Morality on the other hand can be very personal thing concerning right and wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment